This Saturday, February 17th is Random Acts of Kindness Day (#randomactsofkindnessday). Because being kind should be something you practice every single day, I’ve create a list of 25 random acts of kindness for equestrians to get you started on helping to make the world and the barn a better place.
25 Random Acts of Kindness for the Equestrian
- Have a clean-up-the-barn barn party.
- Help a stranger at the local feed store next time you are there – purchase their order, or help them load their order into their vehicle.
- Share your favorite new horse equipment or accessory on social media. People need to know!
- Call your Barn Bestie to chat about non-horsey things or just to check in.
- Clean a Barn Mates horse’s feed and water buckets.
- Be patient with your horse – they can have bad days too.
- Share some hay or feed with someone who’s having trouble making ends meet.
- Sweep the whole barn aisle before you leave for the day.
- Leave an encouraging note for a Barn Mate having a bad day.
- Make a donation to your favorite equine charity. (Like Rosemary Farm Sanctuary in NY)
- Give your horse extra treats, playtime or scratches.
- Horse sit for free for someone in need.
- Give your Barn Bestie a thank you for how much you appreciate their support.
- Volunteer some time with a local rescue or therapy riding program.
- Smile, breathe, relax as you ride – you and your horse will enjoy the resulting positive feelings.
- Snap some photos of your Barn Mates horse and create a quick photo album as a gift. (Chatbooks.com is a great way to do this!)
- Tell your trainer how much you appreciate them – even after they yell at you.
- Clean a Barn Mate’s tack.
- Ask your fellow Barn Mates if they need anything when you head to the store.
- Buy an extra pair of wraps, brushes, etc to have on hand if someone at the barn or show forget their own.
- Give your competition a compliment next time you compete.
- Do a load of barn laundry for a Barn Mate.
- Sneak a piece of tail hair and have a special memento created as a just because gift for your trainer, Barn Bestie or someone special. (Ex. Finian Horse Hair Bracelet for everyday wear from Spirithorse Designs.)
- Groom a Barn Mates horse before they arrive to ride.
- Hug your horse, kiss their nose, give them their favorite treat and tell them how much you love them!
Carry out a random act of kindness, with no expectation of reward, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you. ~ Princess Diana
In the comments below, let me know which number will be the first act of kindness you will do!
Until next time…
Live Kindly – Love Freely – Ride Always,